Have a Question?

You might find your answer below. If not, feel free to contact us directly.


Does EnviroCo replace the need for monitoring by the Regional and Local Authorities?

No. Regional Councils have a statutory obligation to ensure operators are complying with their resource consents and have the enforcement powers to penalise any breach of national or regional regulations. EnviroCo does however assist the operator in complying with the rules to avoid such breaches, thereby reducing the need for frequent monitoring by regional and territorial authorities.

Does erosion and sediment control always cost lots of money?

No. The complexity of your plan will be based on an assessment of environmental risk and the requirements of any resource consents. The cost associated with small, low risk sites will be minimal. Cost tends to increase with the complexity, size and risk of the site.

Why is ESC important?

Erosion and sediment control is important to ensure there is no adverse effect to the environment from your development activities. ESC measures are required by Councils, either through construction phase consents or local and regional Plans. It is also best practice to ‘prepare to fail’ rather than ‘fail to prepare’, thereby avoiding unnecessary impact and associated remediation costs.   

What determines frequency of visits?

Scale of the project and the complexity of the site in terms of its environmental risk profile determines the frequency of site visits.

Past compliance history of the developer or contractors will also influence frequency.

Do you only work in Christchurch?

EnviroCo’s project portfolio is primarily based in greater Christchurch and Banks Peninsula. However, EnviroCo currently has projects in various regions of the South Island. 

Can EnviroCo help with the development of environmental management plans for my existing business?

Yes. There are two types of relevant resource consents – construction phase and operational phase. EnviroCo can meet with you to review current practices against your consents and other regulatory requirements and recommend a pathway forward. 

What do you mean by 'risk'?

Risk is defined by two factors, threat to the environment and the probability or likelihood of that threat occurring. For example, threats could include discharge of sediment to a waterway, and the likelihood of that occurring could be influenced by proximity of the waterway, seasonal weather variations and site size/profile.

How do I determine what flocculant and concentration to use to reduce the sediment in the water I need to discharge?

EnviroCo conducts bench testing at it’s onsite lab facilities using samples taken from your site. This enables bespoke recommendations re. flocculant type and dosing rates tailored to the soil type and environmental conditions the project is likely to face. We can also supply the chemical treatment plan which is a requirement of Environment Canterbury.

I am about to build a house on the hills at Lyttelton and the CCC consent requires an ESCP and sign off – can EnviroCo help?

Yes. EnviroCo staff have gained the Certified Professional of Erosion and Sediment Control (CPESC) certification, which qualifies us to design, review and sign off erosion and sediment control plans and practical set up.

We are a large construction company – is there a ‘package’ deal for all our sites?

A package deal is available for ‘low risk sites’, which only require a monthly visit. Reporting templates are used to reduce the time required on site and for reporting following the visit. Ability to sign up for the package deal is dependent on a site assessment by EnviroCo staff.  

Does EnviroCo prepare resource consent applications for developments?

Yes. EnviroCo has a RMA planning team that can undertake an assessment to determine whether your project meets the Regional Council and Local Authority permitted activity rules, or if one or more resource consents need to be obtained. We can then work with the client to apply for the appropriate consents or certificate of compliance.